“G R I M E S T I M E S,” N O V E M B E R, 2 O 1 4
HISTORY IS * S T I L L * IN THE MAKING !!
Monday, Nov. 3rd, 2014 (Henry’s 79th birthday concert!!), 10:30 p.m. (doors at 10:00): Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, Le Poisson Rouge, 150 Bleecker St. betw. Sullivan & Thompson St.’s 3 blocks below the southwest corner of Washington Sq. Park, Manhattan (NYC), 212-505-3474 (press 1 for box office), 612-735-8366, tables and standing room $18, no food or drink min., <Email info>, <Email box office>, <event link>, <ticket link>, <link for directions>, <Facebook event link>.
Friday, Nov. 6th-Sunday, Nov. 16th: Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, 9 concerts in 9 days in 6 countries in Europe(!):
(2) Saturday, Nov. 8th: Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, Willem 2 Concertzaal, Boschdijkstraat, ‘s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands, +31 73 612 3422, <event link>.
(3) Sunday, Nov. 9th: Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, Stadtgarten, Venloerstrasse 40, 50672 Cologne / Koln ((Belgisches Viertel), Germany, +49 (0)2 21 952994-0, <venue link>.
(4) Monday, Nov. 10th: Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, Europa Jazz Festival, opening night, Salle Oasis Le Mans, exhibition hall, Ave. Geneslay Felix, 72100 Le Mans, France, festival office 9 rue des brothers Gréban, 72000 Le Mans (Metro Lafayette), <Email box office>, <event link>, +33 (02) 4323 7899, tickets (02) 4323 6638, <http://www.oasislemans.fr/plan-dacces>, <Email>.
(7) Thursday, Nov. 13th: Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, Cinema Nuovo Eden, Jazz in Eden, New Eden Cinema, Via Nino Bixio 9, 25121 Brescia, Italy, +39 (0)30 8379404/403, <venue link>, <Email link>.
(8) Friday, Nov. 14th: Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, Teatro Palamostre, Piazzale Paul the Deacon 21, Udine, Italy, +39 506 925 0432, Euritmica Associazione Culturale, Via Caterina Percoto 2, 33100 Udine, <presenter link>, <event link>, <Email link>, +39 (0)4 32 1744261.
(9) Saturday, Nov. 15th: Marc Ribot w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, Time Zones Festival, Teatro Forma, Via Fanelli Giuseppe, 206, Bari, Italy, +39 (0)80 501 8161, <venue link>, info from Associazione Culturale Time Zones, +39 338 5957238, <Email link>, <festival link> …
… and much more to follow!
We are deeply grateful to Robert D. Bielecki for his
generous ongoing support of Henry Grimes concerts.
S O M E R E C E N T E V E N T S (the past 6 months) :
May 8th: Marshall Allen / Henry Grimes / Ka / Avreeayl Ra, AngelicA Festival, Centre for Musical Research, Teatro Laboratorio San Leonardo, Bologna, Italy;
May 10th: Marshall Allen / Henry Grimes / Ka / Avreeayl Ra, CSOA Molino Cultural Center, Lugano, Switzerland;
May 12th: Marc Ribot trio w/ Henry Grimes & Chad Taylor, CD / vinyl release party for “Marc Ribot Trio Live at the Village Vanguard” at Le Poisson Rouge, NYC;
May 31st: Henry Grimes and Phillip Greenlief (duo) plus many others playing in various combinations, benefit for the Homeless Action Center in San Francisco, held at Berkeley Arts Festival Space, Berkeley, California;
June 1st: The Marc Ribot Trio featuring Henry Grimes and Chad Taylor, SFJazz, San Francisco, California;
[NOTE: At the benefit for the Homeless Action Center in Berkeley on May 31st, and also at SFJazz on June 1st, Henry Grimes played the bass that belonged to Matthew Sperry, a young player of great promise who died in 2003 after he and his bicycle were hit by a truck. Matthew's widow Stacia feels that Matthew would want his bass to be played, and so it has been made available to Henry several times when we've been in the Bay area. We also feel that Matthew would be very pleased that his bass is being played to help the homeless. It's a very beautiful instrument in more ways than one. Please see [sperry link] to know more about Matthew Sperry.]
June 15th, Vision Festival, at Roulette, Brooklyn, NY: Henry Grimes on a panel discussing the legacy of Amiri Baraka in creating our future; and in concert w/ Connie Crothers and Melvin Gibbs;
July 3rd: Nicole Mitchell w/ Geri Allen, Henry Grimes, & Pheeroan akLaff, at the Stone, NYC;
July 31st: Tyshawn Sorey w/ Dave Burrell & Henry Grimes, at the Stone, NYC;
August 9th and 10th: HPrizm (also called High Priest and Ornate Coldtrain) w/ Wadada Leo Smith, Henry Grimes, David Virelles, & Emmanuel Pidre, Jazz Factory Festival, WAVES project, São Paulo, Brazil. NOTE: This festival ran August 6th-31st and also included Anthony Braxton‘s Diamond Curtain Wall Quartet, Fred Wesley and Generations, Randy Weston‘s African Rhythm Septet, and many more;
August 20th: Connie Crothers, Henry Grimes, Jemeel Moondoc, at the Stone, NYC;
Sept. 4th: Concert to protest police brutality and to raise funds for Michael Brown’s family, organized by Matana Roberts, w/ Henry Grimes, Enuma Messam, Meshell Ndegeocello, Ches Smith, Fay Victor, and many more, at Union Pool, Brooklyn, NY, all proceeds going to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund, $810 raised!;
Sept. 27th and 28th: Very Very Threadgill, a weekend festival celebrating the great Henry Threadgill, w/ musicians including (alphabetically) Pheeroan akLaff, Jose Davila, Melvin Gibbs, Henry Grimes, Craig Harris, Graham Haynes, Christopher Hoffman, Marika Hughes, Darius Jones, Ku-umba Frank Lacy, Steve Lehman, J.T. Lewis, Tony Malaby, Jason Moran, Linda Oh, Greg Osby, Eric Revis, Stephanie Richards, Marcus Rojas, Antoine Roney, Brandon Ross, Marvin Sewell, Jen Shyu, Tyshawn Sorey, Curtis Stewart, Henry Threadgill (conducting and speaking), Pyeng Threadgill, Fay Victor, & Cassandra Wilson in various groupings over the two evenings, curator Jason Moran (Henry Grimes played in the new configuration of AIR), all at Harlem Stage Gatehouse, 150 Convent Ave. at West 135th St., Village of Harlem, NY;
Oct. 4th: Ches Smith w/ Henry Grimes & Matt Nelson, the Stone, NYC;
Oct. 18th: Steve Coleman, Trevor Dunn, Melvin Gibbs, Henry Grimes, Shahzad Ismaili, Marc Ribot, Amir el’ Saffar, Ches Smith, John Zorn, & many more, benefit for the Content Creators Coalition for musicians’ rights, at Roulette, Brooklyn, NY (NOTE: Henry Grimes played with Marc Ribot, Amir el’ Saffar, & Ches Smith) …
T H R E E M O R E G R E A T N E W
P E N D I N G R E L E A S E S !
Scott Robinson / Marshall Allen / Pat O’Leary / Kevin Norton, and special guest Henry Grimes, recorded in concert 11/26/10 at the Stone, NYC, to be released on ScienSonic;
Roscoe Mitchell with Dave Burrell / Henry Grimes / Tani Tabbal, recorded in concert 2/17/11 at Roulette, NYC, label to be announced;
Henry Grimes and Wadada Leo Smith, recorded in concert in NYC at Zurcher Studio in 2O11 and at the Vision Festival in NYC in 2O12, label to be announced;
Please see Henry Grimes discography to discover 90+ others already released.
Henry Grimes may also be followed on Facebook .